Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Martin. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Martin. Afficher tous les articles

dimanche 6 octobre 2013

Tour De France Stage 11 Results: Tony Martin Wins Stage, Chris Froome Maintains Overall Lead (PHOTOS)

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

MONT-SAINT-MICHEL, France (AP) — German rider Tony Martin won the 11th stage of the Tour de France and second-placed Chris Froome finished way ahead of his main rivals to significantly improve his overall lead on Wednesday.

As the two-time world time trial champion, Martin did not disappoint over the 20.5-mile route in Normandy from Avranches to the medieval walled city of Mont-Saint-Michel.

Froome was faster over the first two time splits but slowed down in the last section and rolled in 12 seconds slower than Martin, who won in just over 36 minutes.

Froome was the only rider to get within a minute of Martin, with Belgian Thomas De Gendt 1:01 behind in third.

While Martin is not a Tour challenger, others who are supposed to be slipped further behind.

Alejandro Valverde and two-time former champion Alberto Contador were two minutes or more slower than Froome, and 2010 champ Andy Schleck and 2011 champ Cadel Evans lost massive time.

Valverde is still in second place overall but is 3:25 back.

Contador looked stern-faced and tense when he prepared to start. He's now almost four minutes behind Froome.

The Spaniard finished in 15th place, 2:15 behind Martin; Evans was 2:30 slower and Schleck finished 4:44 behind Martin.

"No one's won the Tour de France yet and no one's lost it. We have to get to Paris yet," Contador said. "It's true that Chris Froome is in impressive form and is a great climber, but there are still many stages left."

Martin was lucky to still be in the race after losing consciousness on his team bus after his crash in the opening stage. It was so bad that his left lung was bruised and layers of skin were shredded off his back, preventing him from sleeping properly for several nights.

"It's pretty much OK. There are still some deeper wounds that are left to heal, but it's not that painful anymore like directly after the crash," Martin said. "(Today) the feeling was good. I was just focused on the race. It was more or less like every time trial."

Martin won the penultimate stage of the 2011 Tour, an undulating time trail in Grenoble. He also finished second behind Bradley Wiggins in the time trial at the Olympic Games last year in London.

The ride Wednesday started in Avranches, whose website dates the town's origins to Celts in the 9th century B.C. It ended at the breathtaking island citadel of Mont-Saint-Michel, a World Heritage site because of the Gothic-style Benedictine abbey erected between the 11th and 16th centuries.

However, riding at an average speed of 34 mph in humid conditions, there was little time for Martin to take in the sights.

Mark Cavendish had an eventful day — but for the wrong reasons.

Cavendish's team said it believes someone threw urine at the British rider.

"Yes, that's true I think. I was behind him. I didn't see it, but I think it's true," the team press officer Alessandro Tegner said.

Tegner said the liquid smelled like urine and it was "all over him." He added Cavendish talked about it after the time trial.

Get Alerts

dimanche 22 septembre 2013

Rev. James Martin, S.J.: Saint John Paul II and John XXIII

Newsletter of religion: Subscribe

This piece first ran in the magazine, America.

Today's announcement by dad Francis of the canonization of Blessed John Paul II was not a surprise. From the time of his death in 2005, when crowds shouted "Santo Subito!" in St. Peter's square, to the resignation of the Pope Benedicto XVI of the normal rule of five years (the canonization process normally not begin until five years after the death of the person) leaked news of this week requiring the second miracle had been approvedthe official announcement was expected.

What was not expected in today's announcement, which came during a meeting with the prefect of the Congregation for the causes of Saints, was the adoption of the canonization of Blessed John XXIII, the process seemed to have languished in recent years. Even more surprising was the news that the Pope had waived the second normal miracle. Federico Lombardi, S.J., papal, explained, spokesman "despite the absence of a second miracle, was the will of the Pope to the holiness of the great Pope of Vatican Council II be redognized". Father Lombardi said that, of course, the Pope has the authority to "passing" that requirement and added that there had been discussions among theologians and experts about whether needed two miracles for beatification and canonization. As always, surprises of father Francis. (Maybe second miracle of Juan XXIII was the election of Francisco).

The two Popes appeal to a wide variety of Catholics. The popularity of John Paul only seemed to grow as the papacy continued and has remained strong among Catholics since his death. A man of strong faith, a tireless evangelist, and a strong enemy frequently both communism and poverty, Pope became, by much that he might disapprove the use of the word, a religious rock star. Perhaps the most admirable quality of man was his determination: his youth working under a Communist regime in Poland, his incredible series of Papal trips and his long battle against Parkinson's disease showed the spiritual arena of the world. But the man some call John Paul Magno was not perfect: revelations about the crimes of father Marcial Maciel, founder disgraced Legion of Christ, which was engendered both and abused children, questions in the trial of John Paul. But it is not without blemish: the saints will tell them that.

The popularity of Juan XXIII, by contrast, seemed diminished among some sectors in recent years, although for those who love him, he is a huge hero. (Some of this decline was simple aging and death of the living during his years as Pope). Humble, humorous, affable, intelligent, creative, who convened the Second Vatican Council, which came with him, said, not as a result of the long meditation, but as "an unexpected Spring Flower," is loved as "good Pope John." But Juan XXIII was not, as some have it, simply a jolly old man, Roly-Poly. The Church towards the dangerous coasts of renewal could head a diplomatic veteran and a learned expert in history of the Church, the old patriarch of Venice skillfully. He was also strong in their opposition to that worst of traits in the Catholic Church: pessimism. In response to those who portended only risk and danger in the world, Pope John responded succinctly in his inaugural speech to Vatican II: "Feel that we we disagree with these prophets of darkness". But nor was it Juan XXIII perfect: some are running his pontificate as the beginning of the "drift" in the Church and its Board as ultimately leaning too much towards the modern world.

The joint announcement of Francis some Pope can press simply as a cunning "movement." Two dads are seen to attract different types of Catholics, and so this announcement will be used to join these groups. For me, I deeply admire John Paul II, but Juan XXIII is a great hero. For some friends of mine, that statement would be reversed. But all, I hope that they can be happy today.

But there is a much deeper message here, one that it goes beyond what some might call "political" Church. And that message is about the Saints. John Paul and John XXXIII were equal in many ways: dedicated to Christ, dedicated to Mary, faithful to the teachings of the Church, intelligent, hard-working, intelligent, experienced, thoughtful.

In many respects, however, they were different. Karol Wojtyla seemed to have had an air more melancholic than Angelo Roncalli, who by most accounts, was a man most joyful, always ready with a joke. (This is not to say that John Paul was with no sense of humor, but those who knew him tend to speak more often of his serious side). John Paul seemed to savor their place on the world stage, as a way of communicating their faith, while Juan XXIII seemed something more private, writing to his sister before the conclave that elected him, "who wants to be more than a cardinal?" John Paul sometimes seemed more philosopher (it need only read his encyclicals for proof of this), while John seemed more Shepherd (above the door to his studio in Venice, the cardinal Roncalli placed the motto Pastor Pater et.) The two also approached Government Church in different ways, designated to different kinds of bishops and archbishops during their papacies. More fundamentally, friends of mine who knew both of them describe their personalities in different ways.

But it has always been thus. Two things to remember about Saints: firstly, they were not perfect. And secondly, as today's announcement reminds us, are not versions of from one to another cookie cutter. John Paul II and Juan XXIII may appeal to different types of Catholics because they were different types of people. And what the Church is telling us today is that both types are saints.

Perhaps Juan XXIII said it best, when you talk about the false idea that the Saints were the same. In one of his diary entries wondered if he was called to be exactly like one of its holy places, the Jesuit Luis Gonzaga. Not, he concluded, "I am not St Aloysius or should I seek Holiness in his particular way, but according to the requirements of my character, my own character and the different conditions of my life...St Aloysius had been as I am, I would have become Holy in a different way."

Follow the Rev. James Martin, S.J. on Twitter: www.twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ

Get alerts

vendredi 23 août 2013

Martin Luther King Jr Detroit 1963 March Commemorates 50 years later with ride by Woodward

DETROIT - thousands took part in a March from Detroit that commemorates the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. led in 1963.

The walk along the Woodward Avenue on Saturday morning culminated in a Riverfront rally in the Hart Plaza.

Civil rights icon visited Detroit on June 23, 1963, tens of thousands in a walk of freedom of driving and also get a preview of his "I Have a Dream" speech.

Martin Luther King III, Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and revolutions. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton participate in the March and rally on Saturday.

President of NAACP's Detroit Wendell Anthony said that the work for freedom and justice must continue the March "means" in Detroit and around the world.

Sharpton said it is important to continue to fight for Justice and protesters not only take "a journey of nostalgia for Woodward."

Also in HuffPost:

Get alerts

lundi 24 juin 2013

George R.R. Martin makes No apologies for the 'bride' massacred in 'Game Of Thrones' (VIDEO)

Conan George Rr Martin 130605'Conan': George R.R. Martin has no apologies there for 'Game of Thrones' bloodbath

George R.R. Martin wrote the script "Red wedding" years ago for his series "A song of ice & fire", but that was facing the fire again after the scene that played out in the last episode of "Game of Thrones". He made no apologies for it during his appearance on "Conan" this week, no matter how much fans were freaking out about it.

"Always I like unexpected things and I always like the suspense to be real," said Martin. "I want to my readers - and I want my viewers - be afraid when my characters are in danger." I want you to be afraid to turn the next page, because your next character cannot survive it."

He admitted that while he did not have any guilt for killing the characters in the book series, it is a little different now that their decisions are putting actors out of work. However, the actors could always anticipate their fate by reading his books.

Of course, Martin needs to get moving at the end of the series. Took it him two decades to write the first five books of the series, but three seasons, the HBO series is approaching quickly. It is apparently choosing their pace to try to finish the last two books to get ahead in the television program.

Meanwhile, fans can tune at the end of the season - and fallout "Red wedding" - of "Game of Thrones" this Sunday at 9 p.m. ET on HBO. "Conan" airs on weeknights at 11 PM ET on TBS.

TV Replay runs through the landscape of the big TV to find the most interesting, fun and on a good day, incredible moments and delivered right to your browser.

HuffPost related:

vendredi 14 juin 2013

George Zimmerman Lawyer Mark O'Mara Fabricated Evidence, Martin Family Lawyer Claims

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

With less than a week left before the Trayvon Martin trial begins, an attorney for Martin's family now claims that George Zimmerman's lawyer Mark O'Mara fabricated evidence in an attempt to sway both the public and the jury.

Since Zimmerman's fatal confrontation with the 17-year-old Martin more than a year ago, both the judge and the public have been presented with an overwhelming amount of evidence during numerous court appearances and hearings. During a hearing last Tuesday, Zimmerman's defense team claimed that they had obtained video footage of "two buddies of [Martin] beating up a homeless guy." In a statement on Zimmerman's website, O'Mara later apologized for mischaracterizing evidence that in fact showed two homeless men fighting over a bike.

However, the law office representing Martin's family said this mistake was much more serious than a simple misstatement.

"The video, to me, is one of the clearest examples of a pure fabrication," Jasmine Rand, managing attorney and head of the civil rights division of Parks and Crump's South Florida office, told The Huffington Post. "I have no idea where that information came from. It's inaccurate, and to spread that type of information on such an important case was a clear fabrication of the evidence. I think that the behavior of the defense, to me, would call into question their veracity as a whole. And if you fabricate evidence once, I don't trust that you wouldn't fabricate evidence twice."

Shawn Vincent, a spokesperson for O'Mara's law firm, told HuffPost that the defense apologized for spreading misinformation and addressed the mistake quickly to continue its commitment to sharing accurate information with the public.

The footage is just a small part of a slew of evidence released by the defense, including photos and text messages from the teen's phone, that it's offered in support of its theory that Martin was the aggressor on the night of the fatal encounter. Judge Debra Nelson later ruled that the defense cannot mention Martin's drug use, school suspensions, text messages or history of fighting during its opening statement.

But simply releasing the evidence to the public could have a major effect on this trial and others, Rand said.

"This case doesn't occur in a vacuum, and the manner in which we conduct ourselves as legal professionals has an impact that lasts beyond the Trayvon Martin case itself, and has larger societal implications," she said. "A lot of the evidence that they've brought forward is completely irrelevant, and it's a very clear attempt to assassinate Trayvon Martin's character publicly in the media by mischaracterizing certain evidence."

In the past, O'Mara has justified using such evidence by suggesting that it helps to prove his client acted in self-defense.

"There is certainly enough evidence ... that's going to suggest Trayvon Martin involved himself ongoingly [sic] with fighting with other people," O'Mara said during last Tuesday's hearing, adding that it was his team's responsibility to bring forward any information that would be helpful to their client's case.

"I think it's a very dangerous message to send the public, when you're trying to justify killing somebody because of the way they look," Rand said. "It's different when you're bringing information before the court, as opposed to allowing this misinformation to go viral online. That's not his responsibility, that was a choice and a conscious decision he made to spread misinformation to the masses. He's killing his own credibility in the process."

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 4 -- Mark O'Mara told HuffPost, "It was a mistake, I've acknowledged it, it happened and I'm sorry. I only wish that those who are so willing to condemn would be without fault first."

"I said something wrong, and I apologize," O'Mara added. "What they're doing is trying to make more out of it because they have, for the past year, put Trayvon Martin up on a pedestal where he shouldn't have been, because he's a regular 17-year-old kid and they knew all this information about him."

"Quite honestly, I'm not sure there's any impact at all because no one has seen the video," O'Mara noted. "They're entitled to their opinions. I would only hope that they apologize for their mistakes as quickly as I have."

Earlier on HuffPost: