Affichage des articles dont le libellé est trial. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est trial. Afficher tous les articles

lundi 14 octobre 2013

Stephen Rakes' Death 'Suspicious': Police Investigate After Whitey Bulger Trial Witness' Body Found

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

Authorities say that the death of a man who was on the witness list in the trial of mobster James "Whitey" Bulger is suspicious.

The body of Stephen "Stippo" Rakes was found on Wednesday in Lincoln, Mass. The cause of death is yet unknown, and the Middlesex district attorney's office reported that there were "no obvious signs of trauma."

An unnamed law enforcement source told New England Cable News that the death is being investigated as suspicious. The cause of death is pending a complete autopsy and toxicology results.

The timing of Rakes' death was noteworthy, given that he was prepared to testify against one of the country's most notorious fugitives. Bulger, 83, is on trial for 19 murders, racketeering, and other charges.

Rakes, 59, was prepared to testify that he was threatened, with a gun, to sell his South Boston liquor store at below-market value in 1984 so that Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang could use it as a front, according to NBC News. He alleged that Bulger placed the gun on his kitchen table and made demands.

"One of my daughters picked up the gun and that's when I called my wife to say we were selling the store," he told HuffPost Crime last month.

Last week, however, Bulger's former associate Kevin Weeks testified that Rakes was trying to shake down the gangsters for cash, sparking the gun incident.

Rakes waited for decades for the opportunity to testify against Bulger, but was told after Weeks' testimony that he was taken off the witness list. It's yet unclear why his name was dropped.

His body was found at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. He didn't have a wallet or identification with him, WHDH reports.

Also on HuffPost:

Subscribe

mardi 9 juillet 2013

George Zimmerman trial live updates: jury selection begins

Jury selection begins trial in Florida on Monday of murder in the second degree of George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman is in court more than 15 months after he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The trial, before Judge Debra Nelson in Seminole County Circuit, expected to last more than one month.

Nelson previously ruled that faces of the jury will not be shown by means of communication, and shall refer to number only.

CLICK HERE FOR LIVE UPDATES

Zimmerman shot and killed Martin as the teenager walked to the House of the bride of his father from a convenience store in Sanford, Florida, with a bag of sweets on the night of February 26, 2012.

Defence lawyers argue that Zimmerman, then for 28 years, was attacked by Martin while serving as guards of the volunteer neighborhood. Zimmerman's camp argues that Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, acted in self defense when filmed the African-American teenager in the chest at point-blank range. Prosecutors have considered an instance of murder the death of Martin in second grade.

Lawyer Mark O'Mara representing Zimmerman and lead for Florida State Prosecutor is Bernie the Rionda.

CLICK HERE FOR THE CASE TIMELINE

The Defense has not decided yet if Zimmerman will have the support. That decision probably will be when the prosecution presents its case.

He faces life imprisonment if convicted.

The trial is scheduled to begin at 9:00 a.m. EST.

Read below for minute-by-minute updates on court Monday:

The Huffington Post is testimony to the blogging on Monday. Look here for updates.

HuffPost related:

Get alerts