Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Syrian. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Syrian. Afficher tous les articles

mardi 8 octobre 2013

Syrian Rebels Battle Jihadi Groups In Aleppo

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

BEIRUT — Western-backed opposition fighters and a faction of al-Qaida-linked rebels turned their guns on each other Saturday in Syria's largest city, battling for control of a key checkpoint in the latest eruption of infighting among the forces trying to topple President Bashar Assad's regime, activists said.

The clashes between rebels affiliated with the Free Syrian Army and fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant underscored the growing phenomenon of rebel-on-rebel violence that has sapped strength from the broader anti-Assad movement. It also underscores the rebels' inability even more than two years into the conflict to unite around a unified command, as well as the deepening rift between more secular opposition fighters and Islamic extremists in the rebel ranks.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Saturday's clashes were focused on the strategic checkpoint in Aleppo's Bustan al-Qasr district that serves as the sole gateway between rebel-held eastern districts and the government-controlled areas in the west. Earlier this week, al-Qaida-linked militants seized the checkpoint and closed it for several days, cutting the flow of food supplies to the government-held quarters of the city. That spurred protests by residents suffering from food shortages at the start of the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan.

The Observatory said the fighting rattled the neighborhood throughout the morning, but subsided by the afternoon as the al-Qaida-linked rebels pulled out of the area. It was not clear which group was in control of the checkpoint, where residents were staging a protest to vent their anger at soaring food prices. The area also witnessed clashes between rebels and government troops.

One of the most troubling outbursts of infighting among opposition fighters took place Friday, when the FSA said one of its commanders, Kamal Hamami, was shot dead by al-Qaida militants in the Jabal al-Turkoman mountain area in the coastal province of Latakia. Hamami, known as Abu Basir, served in the Supreme Military Council of the Free Syrian Army, a group headed by a secular-minded moderate that has the support of Western powers.

Activists monitoring Syria's more than 2-year-old conflict have previously reported sporadic infighting among rebel groups over control of the territory they've captured in the north along the border with Turkey. Those clashes were mostly between Kurdish and Arab rebels, and have subsided since a ceasefire agreement was reached earlier this year.

The fighting between moderate and jihadi groups that have for months battled Assad's regime together have become more frequent in recent weeks. The clashes have largely focused on border crossings with Turkey and vital installations, like bakeries, water wells, petrol stations and checkpoints in the north, according to the Observatory.

Another activist said the fighting is aimed at establishing control over the flow of food and aid to the residents. Each group is also trying to set up governing structures over the territory in the north the opposition has controlled for a year and take a cut of money from goods being smuggled into Syria over the border with Turkey.

The activists did not want to be quoted by name for fear of reprisal from both groups.

Militant Islamic groups, including those with links to al-Qaida, have been the most effective fighting force on the opposition side in the past year, spearheading many of the attacks that captured military bases, towns and villages and whole neighborhoods in Aleppo. In late February, Islamic battalions led the assault and conquered the eastern city of Raqqa, making it the first Syrian city to entirely fall under rebel control. Moderate factions are now fighting jihadi groups for a say in running of Raqqa.

In the central province of Homs, video emerged Saturday that appeared to show a government airstrike on the Krak des Chevaliers, one of the world's best-preserved Crusader castles. Government troops have been pressing an offensive against rebels in the province in recent months, and the town, which goes by the same name as the castle, has been under attack by regime troops for the past four days.

The Observatory said Syrian warplanes carried out at least three airstrikes in the area on Friday, but the activist group could not confirm whether the fortress itself had been hit. It also said government forces have ordered residents to evacuate the town, apparently in preparation for a full-scale attack on the area.

The imposing Krak des Chevaliers, which towers above the surrounding countryside from its hilltop perch, has a storied history. It held off a siege by the Muslim warrior Saladin nearly 900 years ago, and was lauded centuries later by Lawrence of Arabia for its beauty.

The fortress has already been damaged over the course of the civil war, but if the hit it took Friday is confirmed, it would mark the worst destruction to the building so far.

An amateur video posted to YouTube appeared to show a missile striking one of the castle's towers, sending a plume of smoke and dust into the sky. The off-camera narrator says the date is July 12, 2013. Another video purportedly taken from inside showed a hole in the thick stone ceiling of the castle, and a mound of debris and heavy stones under the open roof.

The videos appeared genuine and corresponded to other AP reporting on the events depicted.

Many of Syria's archaeological sites have been badly damaged by the country's civil war. Aleppo's centuries-old covered market was gutted by fire last year, while in April, the 11th-century minaret of the famed Umayyad Mosque that towered over the narrow stone alleyways of Aleppo's old quarter collapsed during fighting between troops and rebels.

___

Associated Press writer Bassem Mroue contributed to this report from Beirut.

Also on HuffPost:

Get Alerts

jeudi 27 juin 2013

Syrian Rebels Reportedly Capture Golan Heights Crossing

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota
spinner var map_data = {"point":{"lng":35.823612,"lat":33.125278},"center":{"lat":33.251091622262805,"lng":35.604910994385556},"zoom":5,"city":"Quneitra","country":"SY","hover":"Quneitra, Quneitra, SY"};jQuery(document).ready(function () { jQuery('#entry_map').html(''); var options = { elt: document.getElementById("entry_map"), zoom: map_data.zoom, latLng: map_data.center, mtype: 'map' }; window.entryMap = new MQA.TileMap(options); entryMap.setLogoPlacement(MQA.MapLogo.MAPQUEST, new MQA.MapCornerPlacement(MQA.MapCorner.BOTTOM_LEFT, new MQA.Size(0, 14))); // Add the point. var point = new MQA.Poi(map_data.point); point.setRolloverContent(map_data.hover); entryMap.addShape(point); // Enhance interaction. MQA.withModule('smallzoom', function () { entryMap.addControl( new MQA.SmallZoom(), new MQA.MapCornerPlacement(MQA.MapCorner.TOP_LEFT, new MQA.Size(5,5)) ); }); });

Syrian rebels fighting forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad's regime have taken over the Quneitra crossing on the Israel-Syria ceasefire line in the Golan Heights, army radio reported on Thursday, quoting military officials.

"The IDF (Israel Defence Forces) confirms that Quneitra crossing has fallen to the rebels," the radio said.

Contacted by AFP, a military spokesman refused to comment on the report which refers to a crossing point in the central part of the strategic plateau.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based group that has been monitoring Syria's two-year conflict, also said the rebels seized the Quneitra crossing after attacking and clashing with Syrian government troops.

Both the Observatory and the Israeli radio station said fierce fighting was still under way in the actual town of the same name, which lies close to the crossing.

Israeli security sources confirmed there were exchanges of fire in the area of the crossing, but said it was not yet possible to say whether it had been taken over.

"They are exchanges of fire there," one source told AFP. "The incident is ongoing so it's very hard to say who is in control there."

He said the military had warned farmers not to approach the area and that an unspecified number of Syrian government troops had been taken to a hospital in northern Israel for treatment.

"There are apparently also those who are badly injured among the Syrian (army) forces who have been taken to hospital in Safed," he said.

A spokeswoman for Ziv hospital in Safed was unable to confirm or deny the report, referring all enquiries to the military.

In the past three months, at least 16 people wounded in the civil war which has gripped the country have crossed the border and received medical treatment at the hospital, which is located in the northern Galilee town of Safed.

Israel seized a large section of the strategic plateau from Syria in the 1967 Six-Day War and annexed it in 1981, in a move never recognised by the international community.

Israel and Syria are still technically at a state of war.

Related on HuffPost:

Get Alerts

samedi 1 juin 2013

John McCain: Syrian Rebels 'Do Not Understand Why We Won't Help Them' (VIDEO)

John McCain spoke publicly about his visit to Syria for the first time Wednesday night on CNN's 'AC 360.' The Arizona senator quietly entered the country and met with rebel leaders Monday.

McCain emphasized the desperation of the rebels' situation, with Bashar Assad's army receiving arms from Russia and support from Iran and Hezbollah.

"I wanted to be able to go back and be able to tell my colleagues in the Senate that at least the military side of those who are fighting against Bashar Al Assad is well-organized and they are well-led and they have people now who have been fighting for over two years," McCain told Anderson Cooper. "And they really are fighting an unfair fight. As you know the scuds continue, the air attacks continue, the massacres continue."

"They do not understand why we won't help them," McCain added.

The senator urged the Obama adminsitration to reconsider its stance on arming the Syrian opposition, and argued that it would be a mistake to avoid getting involved for fear of repeating the U.S. experience in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Everyone talks about Iraq and Afghanistan, and that's a legitimate concern. I'd also like them to consider that we went into Bosnia and we went to Kosovo and we were able to, without too much difficulty, to be able to stop genocide in those places," McCain said.

A HuffPost/YouGov poll conducted in late April found that 51 percent of respondents opposed providing weapons to rebel fighters in Syria, while only 12 percent supported it. 49 percent were opposed to conducting air strikes in Syria, while 16 percent supported it.

Watch the full interview here.

Also on HuffPost:

Get Alerts