Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Governor. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Governor. Afficher tous les articles

mercredi 16 octobre 2013

Kevyn Orr, Director of emergency of Detroit, Governor Rick Snyder defend bankruptcy Sunday Talk Shows

DETROIT - it was not easy to make Detroit the largest city in United States to apply for bankruptcy protection, but it was the right decision, said Sunday as the Rick Snyder Michigan Governor, Mayor of the city and his emergency Manager made the rounds of talk television show.

Snyder, a Republican, gave his blessing to the decision of the Manager emergency Kevyn Orr in bankruptcy for Detroit on Thursday.

"We review every other viable option," Snyder said on the CBS "face the nation".

"The debt issue needs to be addressed. But more important still is accountability to the citizens of Detroit, "said Snyder. "That you are not getting the services that they deserve and have not done so for a very long time. Thus this may has been cast down the road for decades. It is already enough and now is the time to give it back. "

On NBC's "Meet the Press," Snyder said that if Detroit restructuring is successful, the city could roar back stronger than before.

"We will now in the improvement of Detroit," he added.

The State hired Orr in March to arrange debt ballooning of Detroit and more than $300 million budget deficit. He is a specialist of twist and automotive Chrysler LLC during its successful restructuring.

Orr outlined its plans at a June meeting with the holders of the debt, in which his team warned there was present a 50% chance of a bankruptcy. The city then stopped paying $2.5 billion in unsecured debt to "preserve cash" for the police, fire and other services.

Orr said of Detroit's long-term debt could be as much as $20 billion.

In the last six decades, the population of Detroit has dropped from 1.8 million to about 700,000. The city boasts some 10,000 public workers active and retired 18,000 still owing to pension and health benefits.

The costs of health care and pension contributions over the years have exceeded revenues that Detroit was bringing property and business taxes and other sources. The city has been unable to make these contributions and pay current payroll and other accounts.

Funds that cover health coverage for retirees are underfunded by about $5.7 billion. To cover pension obligations are underfunded by $3.5 billion.

"We will have a dialogue with the pension funds on what we can do," said Orr to "Fox News Sunday."

"And all we are talking about in this restructuring is the non-consolidated component of pension funds", said. "There must be concessions."

Bing, a first mayor mandate that announced earlier this year that he would not seek re-election in the fall, has been opposed to bankruptcy and State supervision. On Sunday, he told ABC "This Week" that expected that the presentation can be a new beginning for the city.

"Detroit is very, very resilient people," said Bing, a professional Basketball Hall of Fame who spent most of his career with the Detroit Pistons of the NBA. "Detroit is a very iconic city in the world. His people will fight for this and we will return."

But he does not expect much, if any, support in the way of the money from the bailout from the federal Government.

"Now that the (bankruptcy) is made, we need to step back and see what follows," said Bing. "The President has a lot on his plate. More than 100 urban cities are struggling and going through this. That we might be the first and one of the largest, but it won't be the last. "

Subscribe

mardi 15 octobre 2013

Chris Christie 2016 Run Could End His Term As Governor

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

If the polls are right and Chris Christie wins a lopsided reelection victory this fall, it will put the New Jersey governor in position to seek the presidency in 2016.

Read the whole story at Salon

mardi 13 août 2013

E.W. Jackson, Virginia Lieutenant Governor Candidate, Claims Government Programs Have Done More Harm To Blacks Than Slavery (VIDEO)

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota
E.W. Jackson Chesapeake minister E.W. Jackson in Falls Church, Va., on May 25, 2012. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

E.W. Jackson, the Chesapeake minister running on the GOP ticket for lieutenant governor of Virginia, has some extreme views, and he's not afraid to share them.

The latest revelation came during a speech on Wednesday when Jackson claimed that government social programs have done more harm to the African-American community than slavery, Talking Points Memo reported.

"In 1960, most black children were raised in two-parent, monogamous families. By now, by this time, we have only 20 percent of black children being raised in a two-parent, monogamous families with the married man and woman raising those children," Jackson said. "It wasn’t slavery that did that, it was government that did that. It tried to solve problems that only God can solve and that only we as human beings can solve.”

Over the course of the campaign, the public has learned that Jackson doesn't believe in evolution, claimed Planned Parenthood "killed unborn black babies by the tens of millions" and thinks President Barack Obama has a "Muslim perspective."

Jackson's 2008 book, "Ten Commandments to an Extraordinary Life: Making Your Dreams Come True" -- which misspelled the word Commandments on the cover -- also suggested that yoga may make unsuspecting people vulnerable to satanic possession.

Jackson has even managed to alienate his own party with his comments. Earlier this month, Rep. Scott Rigell (R-Va.) announced he would not be endorsing Jackson because of his views on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Jackson has described gays and lesbians as "very sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally," and said their behavior "poisons culture."

Also on HuffPost:

mercredi 7 août 2013

BART Strike: San Francisco transit agency talks continue then Governor Jerry Brown steps (video)

SAN FRANCISCO - hundreds of thousands of travelers in the San Francisco Bay area have at least a temporary suspension of a massive transport strike when gov. Jerry Brown took part in a labor contract dispute.

Order 11th hour on Sunday night prevented the strike and the morning trip to continue normally, without widespread congestion trips that would have created a strike of Bay Area Rapid Transit, fifth largest railroad line of the nation, on the left.

In the order, Brown appointed a Board of researchers for an investigation of seven days in the dispute of the contract which had prepared to walk off the job at midnight on Sunday the unions.

The order issued Brown came under a law that allows the State's intervention if a strike significantly disrupt public transport services and endangering public health.

"For the sake of the people of the Bay area, urge you - in the strongest possible terms - parties to meet quickly and the time required to reach this dispute resolved," Brown said in the order.

Board will report its conclusions to the Governor, who can then petition the Court that calls for a 60-day cooling period, said Evan Westrup, a spokesman for Brown. The report explains BART and positions of trade unions, but not to criticize or issue a recommendation.

In a statement, spokesman BART Rick Rice said that Chairman of the Board Tom Radulovich transit authority sent a letter to the Governor requesting their intervention and a 60-day cooling period. The Governor issued an order with considerably less time a week.

"The formal impartial investigation that accompanies the period of reflection will help to clarify the points of difference between the proposals," said the statement.

Union leaders issued a critical statement after the order, accusing the binding BART management negotiators until they stayed only a few hours before the strike would have started to provide alternative proposals on the basis of pay and benefits.

"Our hope is that Research Council of Governor will reveal how little time BART management has been on the negotiating table in the last 30 days, compared to how much time has passed to the media, the position", said the President of SEIU 1021 Roxanne Sánchez.

Spokesman BART Alicia Trost said Sunday afternoon that is "extremely frustrating" that unions were misrepresenting the proposals of improvements that have been received, including wage increases, and the transit authority was working all weekend despite allegations of absence.

"We have made several proposals this weekend and all going in one direction and was above, above, above," Trost said.

Bay Area Rapid Transit managers and Union leaders had returned to the negotiating table on Sunday in the hope of avoiding a strike that would have affected 400,000 travelers and created nightmares of traffic for the area of San Francisco for the second time in a month.

Representatives of the two largest unions of employees in the Agency and BART management negotiated for about 14 hours on Saturday and resumed Sunday morning trading as be seen a deadline of midnight. Brown's order came at around 22:30 on Sunday.

Remain large differences on key issues, including wages, pensions, safety of workers and health care costs.

Union train operators and agents of station average approximately $71,000 in wage base and $11,000 in time extra per year. They pay nothing toward their pensions and a flatrate of $92 per month for the health insurance, according to BART.

To weigh allegations of binding Sunday afternoon, previously in the weekend Union leaders expressed cautious hope for agreement and said progress was being made.

"The parties made some important but incremental moves yesterday, and I hope to reach an agreement," Josie Mooney, Chief negotiator for the Service Employees International Union 1021, said Sunday before heading to the negotiations. "If the parties work very hard, then it is certainly possible in the amount of time that we have."

"Definitely there was movement on both sides," Chief negotiator BART Thomas Hock said as he left the final negotiations Saturday night. "I hope that, if we are moving ahead, we will arrive at a proposal which both parties can agree."

Two of BART's largest unions issued a 72-hour notice on Thursday that employees outside of work if they do not reach agreement on a new contract by midnight Sunday.

"BART is the backbone of the network of transit. Any other transit agency has the ability to absorb the capacity of BART if there is a disruption, "said John Goodwin, spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission.

In the event of a strike, transit agencies had planned to add bus and ferry service, carpool lanes kept open throughout the day and even give coffee gift cards to encourage drivers to pick up riders. Also they were encouraging workers to avoid rush hour traffic or distance if possible.

When BART workers closed train service for four days at the beginning of July, the roads were packed and travelers waited in long queues for buses and ferries. Unions agreed to cancel that attack and extend their contracts until Sunday, while they continued negotiations.

Area of the Bay and State have been pressuring officials of BART and Union leaders to reach an agreement this weekend, saying that a strike would create hardship for working families and damage to the economy of the region.

___

Mohajer reported from Los Angeles.

Earlier the HuffPost: